10.10.2008

First Year, by the Numbers

I've been in Niger as a volunteer for over a year now and while I'm uploading pictures and writing about my vacation I thought this would be kind of fun to read. Enjoy!


If you want to know anything else, just ask and I'll add it.


Books read: 37
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows - J. K. Rowling
Hoot! - Carl Hiaasen
Chronicles: Vol I - Bob Dylan
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail - Bill Bryson
African Diary - Bill Bryson
Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller
Searching for God Know's What - Donald Miller
Walden & Other Writings - Thoreau
How Good Do We Have to Be? - Kushner
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
Big Sur - Jack Kerouac
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Who Were the Celts - Kevin Duffy
A History of the Arab Peoples - Albert Hourani
Beyond Humanitarianism: What You Need to Know about Africa and Why it Matters - Council on Foreign Relations
The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary - Simon Winchester
Tales of Mystery - Edgar Allen Poe
Confessions of an Economic Hitman - John Perkins
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
The Alchemist - Paulo Coehlo
Deep Blues: A Musical and Cultural History from the Mississippi Delta to Chicagos South Side, to the World - Robert Palmer
The Baobab and the Mangoe Tree: Lessons about Development, African and Asian contrasts - Nicholas and Scott Thompson
Soul Survivor: How 13 unlikely Mentors Helped my Faith Survive the Church - Phillip Yancey
Zen Guitar - Philip Toshio Sudo
The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood - David Simon & Edward Burns
Into the Wild - John Krakauer
Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
Joshua: A Parable for Today - Joseph F Girzone
Captain Alatriste - Arturo Perez-Reverte
Hausaland Divided: Colonialism and Independence in Nigeria and Niger - William Miles
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
Robinson Crusoe - Daniel DeFoe
Sidhartha - Herman Hesse
Blood Done Sign My Name: A True Story - Timothy B. Tyson


Bacteria (tested): 6 or 7

Bacteria (self diagnosed) : I gave up on counting

Amoebas: 3 (maybe 4, I forgot)

Giardia: 1

Ear Infections: 2


Most languages heard in one day: 6 (recognized: Arabic, Hausa, French, Zarma, English and Fulfulde, 7 if you count Broka (broken English) and Grammar (correct English) as separate languages)


Days spent in Africa: 472 (as of oct 10,2008)


Days spent as a volunteer in Niger: 410


Days spent in Benin: 4


Days spent in Togo: 4


Days spent in Ghana: 11


Days spent in Burkina Faso: 2 (I'll hope to back in February for FESPACO)

Times I've pooped my pants: zero, ok once


Times my hair has been cut: 2


Number of people who have purchased tickets to come visit: 2, thanks mom and dad


Number of days I fasted during Ramadan '08: 4


Number of electronic devices that Niger has destroyed/damaged: 2 (iPod and Canon Powershot A5)


Number of subscribed readers of this blog (according to Feedburner): 70


Text messages sent: 2177


Text messages received: 3020

Number of times Oumarou said he would come over to play guitar: 4

Number of times he's shown up: 0

Number of volunteers villages I could easily walk to: 3

Avg number of shot glasses of tea per day: 3-4

Avg time to bush taxi to Maradi: 2 - 6 hours

Avg time to bus from Maradi - Niamey: 10-12 hours

Avg time spent greeting people per day: 1-2 hours

****
updated 10/13/08

Shots received in America: 3-ish (tetanus booster, Polio, Yellow Fever) that's all I remember

Shots received in Niger: 11-ish (Diphtheria?, Meningitis, Rabies series of 2 or 3, Hepatitis A series of 3, Hepatitis B series of 2, and yearly Tb tests) Sorry, don't have the info in front of me.

Drugs taken in Niger: 8 ish (The ones I remember are: Mefloquine (every week), Fasygin, Humatin, Cipro, Cefalaxin, and Augmentin)

5 comments:

  1. We will see you in two months,

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. William, this is awesome! That list of books is intimidating... the only one i recognize is Harry Potter, I feel so not cultured! Ok, so the pharmacy geek in me is interested to know how many different immunizations you were required to get prior to getting there, which disease they were for (if you remember), and if you have had to get any more during your stay. Thanks buddy, hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, see you in a few months! Can't wait.

    Kate, I'll update the post. Check back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one fine book list sir, very fine! Here's to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know if you want me to send you some more books!

    ReplyDelete