6.07.2007

What A Day

Part I

Well, this morning started out great. I got up, showered, breakfasted, and out the door. Traffic was minimal. The sun was shining and I'm sure that the birds were singing. I arrived at work and realized that I had left my cell phone at home.

After a quick panic attack, "What if my Peace Corps Placement Officer (PO) calls today, the one day I forgot my phone?" So, I called Lindsay from my work phone and being the wonderful fiancee she is, she brought me my phone. It's not even on the way. How sweet is that?

Ok, backtrack to Monday. I called the Africa Placement Office to ask if the "closeout out" date had passed on the July invitations. They ask for my name and social security number and tell me, "No, Mr. Jones people are still being invited into that program. Your PO has your paper work and will contact you soon."

A few days go by and now we are back to the present after I receive my cell phone. By the way, William sans cell phone felt very vulnerable. I guess I'll get over that soon--sink or swim. I'm sitting at my desk and I'm thinking, I need to hear something from the Peace Corps today or I might just freak out. It's June 7th and I'm supposed to leave some time in July. So, I call the Placement Office back and spoke to a different person. We go through the name and social security game and then I ask, "When is the last day for someone to be invited to the program I've been nominated for?"

"Tuesday", he responded.

I'm getting a little nervous at this point, "Wow, that's only three business days." We both fake laugh.

He assures me that if I am being invited to the program I was nominated for, I will know soon. Then I get back to work and he gets back to work and that's that.


Part II

The day goes on normally. I looked through some charts, I entered some data, I took my lunch. After lunch I ran some errands and while I'm in Light Hall at approximately 1:13 in the PM I received a phone call from a 202 area code. Jackpot! Washington DC, PC HQ. I answered my phone and there's no one there. It rang again. "Hello? William Jones, this is your Placement Officer from the Peace Corps." He gave me his name and asked me a few questions about my romantic involvement. Apparently romantic involvement is one of most common reasons people ET (early termination). He lets me know that I will be getting my invitation by FedEx on Saturday or Monday.

At that point all of the heavens rejoiced and all seemed right with the world even if only for a moment.


Part Last

Well, I wish I had more information, but I won't until I receive my invitation packet. Wish good tidings upon the FedEx folk.

Things I am pretty sure it will include:
My invitation (which I must accept/decline within five days of receiving it, no big deal)
Welcome Book(Country information either on CD or an internet link, supposedly very exhaustive)
Suggested packing list
Forms for the no-fee passport and work visa (HOOrah, more forms!)

Things I wish it would include:
A clean up crew
Solar-powered Nintendo Wii
The answer to this riddle


[warning: none of the dialogue presented above is entirely accurate]

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, sweetie! All this time being so patient...and now it's finally almost here.

    You are amazing, and I am so excited about all the lives you will bless while volunteering!

    I love you and couldn't be happier for you!

    Amour,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay William! I'm really excited for you, and anxious to hear where you're going and when! I hope FedEx has their act together, or else, more mean phone calls--actually, the only reason you're getting it is because of my previous mean phone call to your PO. (Joking, of course--you're getting it cause you're rockfabulous.) Good luck!! Be sure to post when you get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. William,
    This weekend is proving to be just what I had hoped it would not be... too long! The anticipation is about to get the best of me. Since I don't posess the patience that you have, I can hardly wait for you to call on Monday with good news.
    You have worked very hard to get to this point, and the Peace Corps is so lucky to have you as a volunteer. You will enrich the lives of everyone you come in contact with.
    You and Lindsay need to enjoy every minute together. She is one of a kind!!

    I am very proud of you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your continued support. It is the one thing that has helped my maintain my "persistent patience"--long thought to be an oxymoron.

    If I updated every time I called or emailed someone about the Peace Corps this little blog would be over run with short, pathetic, and seemingly frustration filled posts. But, I have maintained my wits which I'm sure will be an added bonus to my skill-set while abroad. But like stated earlier, it has been easy with such wonderful people supporting me at every step.

    Well it is almost here. Only one more day and then I'll have a new set of obstacles to overcome.

    Bless you all for your support.

    ReplyDelete