5.22.2008

Back in Niamey

I'm back in Niamey and I'm getting ready for Pangea, more information on that coming later. Just know I'm very excited about it. The guys in the picture are from a soccer game we recently had in my village not from the upcoming Pangea.

Before I discuss Pangea any further I'd like to talk about what I've been working on in the village.

On, April 29th (Yeah, I know it's almost June) I held a meeting where I walked the guys in the office through how to assess a problem and write a proposal for a project. We recently had a well collapse in another village in the commune and one day the secretary general asked me what I was going to do about the problem. So, I told him that I would teach him how to fix the problem. They started working on the information that afternoon and I just got hold of some proposal applications that can be submitted in French. So, when I return to the village we will complete the proposals. When I say 'we', I hope that I mean 'they'.

The next day, we were supposed to have a meeting to establish a calendar for the office. I sketched out some designs and created a few keys so that we can color code different things such as meetings, travel, projects, market, etc. No one showed up. Who would have a thought you needed a calendar to plan a meeting for establishing a calendar. I tried again a few times to have the meeting, but there just weren't enough people interested/around. I left them the task of creating a list of dates of activities within the commune during the next three months and when I return we will put the calendar together. In sha Allah.

On Friday, May 2nd Sarah took two girls from my village to Maradi for a Young Women's Fair that the volunteers in our region put on. I didn't go, because we had some soccer games in my village, including the first game ever by the girls team at the CEG. The boys played on Saturday evening in front of about 600 people. We beat Kanambakache 2-0. After the match the students performed songs they had written. One song was about the importance of girls education and the other about how to treat the visitors. Sunday morning the girls played and we lost 1-0. It was a great weekend.

The following Friday, we were supposed to do a project celebrating Global Youth Service Day (2 weeks late of course). That got postponed to the following week and then postponed again. The rains have started, so school will get out soon. I don't think we will get around to doing this project this year.

May 13th was Nigerien Women's Day and I went the following day to Tibiri to help with a school there. We made paper flowers for all the mothers.

Well, that's the low down on what's been going on here. I'll post about Pangea soon.

Thanks for reading.

------

Best thing about hot season: mangoes

Worst thing about hot season: well, it's hot

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, whoa, whoa.. you maniac. There is no such thing as "getting ready for" Pangea. Pangea has long since gone and I don't think it is going to reconnect. You can hold out hope, but please don't hold your breath. I am still proud of you, I just think that the desert sun has given you a mild case of the stupid's. Ah, I'm just kidding. I hope you are doing well buddy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey William,
    I am looking forward to hearing about Pangea. It is a shame the whole event can not be video taped or at least audio taped.
    It sounds like you are helping with a variety of needs. Remember, your job is to teach, and sometimes teachers have to "set the stage" in order to motivate learners. However, I don't have one bit of advice to help you get people together to develop a calendar. It seems to me one would need a calendar in order to know what day to meet. :)
    The people you work with are very blessed to have someone like you who sets a goal then gallops toward the goal with blinders on.
    I love seeing the beautiful photographs that you send, and I am reminded of how lucky we are. Keep up the good work; the world is a better place because you are in it.

    With love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete