1.04.2008

Barka Da Sabon Shekara (Happy New Years)

I hope y'all had a great holiday season and I missed being there terribly, but we managed here.  I'm headed back to my village tomorrow and I just wanted to let everyone know what has been going on in my (our) world.

 

If you've been reading, you'll remember that I went into Niamey at the beginning of December to prepare for In-Service Training at the training site in Hamdallaye.  IST was supposed to run from the 5th – 17th.  It was so good to see all of my fellow stagieres and the training staff. 

 

On the 10th of December we receive word that a land mine was run over in Maradi and the explosion injured several people.  The driver died the following day from his injuries.  The Bureau acted and we were all put on Standfast (read: stay where you are).  For those of us at the training site, this meant we would continue doing exactly what we were doing… training.

 

The next day we wake up and hear reports that a second landmine was hit late on the 10th, this time in Tahoua. 

 

We find out we will be on Standfast until at least the 18th which is the Republic Day celebration.  The celebration was in Tahoua and was without incident.

 

In Dosso about two weeks before these incidents there was allegedly a land mine found undetonated at a petroleum depot.  Reports are mixed about the validity of this incident and if it did take place whether or not it was staged. 

 

On the 19th, two men were discovered while trying to lay a land mine north of Zinder.  The land mine was never armed and was dismantled before doing any harm. 

 

Standfast was lifted on the 21st and nothing else has happened.

 

It is my understanding that no one ever claimed responsibility for these incidents and it was never proven that there was a link between any of these incidents.  This is by no means an exhaustive report and if you are itching for more information I encourage you to do some research. 

 

Niger has a history of peace and no precedent for large scale political violence. Throughout all of this I never once felt as if I were in danger.  So, if you were worried about me before… worry the same amount (no more, no less) and if you weren't worried about me before, stand the course.

 

During this time, we also celebrated Tabaski.  None of us at IST were able to spend Tabaski in our villages, which is a bummer, but the training staff made sure we didn't miss out completely.  Tabaski was described by our training manager as, "Bigger than Christmas".  From what I could see it was a huge deal.  People traveled to be with their families.  They've been fattening up rams for months.  Everyone is wearing new clothes.  If people don't eat meat any other day of the year, the eat meat for Tabaski.  It's a big deal, meat is expensive.

 

We were able to get three rams.  Those that cared to watch, watched the staff "prepare" the rams.  I was there and I took too many pictures.  Probably won't post too many of those, a bit graphic.

 

I spent Christmas in Niamey.  All of the people from our stage had a Secret Santa gift exchange and I received an awesome new button up shirt made from local fabric.  You will see soon enough in pictures because this brings my total shirt count to somewhere around seven.

 

New Years I spent in Maradi which was also a lot of fun and I've been waiting on my shuttle since then.  Today, I did have a meeting with the other MCD volunteers in Maradi at the Eastern Regional Office about project ideas.  It went really well. 

 

Fun note:  Several people went out to eat tonight and we all had on jackets and were complaining of the cold.  It couldn't have been any colder than 60-65 and was probably closer to 70.  Barka da parka!

 

I'm running out of steam typing (sorry, I'm out of practice) and I want to thank everyone who sent packages, Halloween cards, Thanksgiving cards, Christmas cards, or cards for no reason.  It means so much to be able to read what those of you at home are thinking.  Also they all have the tendency to arrive at the same time.  So, I celebrate all of my holidays at once.  Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Dude
    Mix Tapes in are in the making. Coming up with good stuff.
    -bo

    ReplyDelete
  2. William,
    I was glad to hear you received the Halloween Card in time for Christmas. It was mailed the first part of October!
    Keep up the good work and know that we think of you daily.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to hear from you and about you. I hope the package I sent will arrive soon: maybe by Valentines Day (ha ha) We spent Christmas in San Francisco and Katie at your mom and dads: I may have told you that already, I can't remember, a familiar refrain on my part these days. I talked with Val and Michael and they head your way on February 2nd and they are looking forward to seeing you and bringing you some home goods as you need. Well, I have finally joined the 21st century and have my own I Pod, 80 gigs! Aren't you impressed. I have loaded two albums and one movie so progess is slow but steady. Stay safe and curious: life is precious and fascinating! Happy New Year, too!

    TH et,el......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao, Il Mio Fratello! Glad things are going good in your area, except for the whole "land mines" thing. It's been great seeing how different cultures do holidays around here. I'm sure the experience is just as great for you. Stay safe bro and I'll try to send you something, sometime. Boun Anno Di 2008! Tanti Aguri! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete