7.12.2007

Still In The States, But Haven't Showered In Two Days

Sannu! (hello in Hausa)

Freshly, as of Sunday, back from Ethan's camp house which was a blast as usual and, like usual there was no electricity and it was July in west Alabama. If you did the math correctly, that should equal HOT! I was really excited about this year because I felt like I was training for Africa (no electricity and insane heat) but the temperatures were pleasant this year due to it raining the entire time. I think the veterans all felt like we missed out on something while all the newbies were confused by our longing for the "force you out of bed at 6:30 AM" type of heat.

I have showered since I left the camp house, that would have just been rude. But, for the last three days I've spent most of my day-time in the library studying Hausa/Zarma/French/History of the Decentralization of Niger. Then when Lindsay gets off work I come home and we spend the evening together. Apparently, during my pursuit of knowledge I've neglected to shower. Now I could just swipe things like that aside and pretend I'm trying to get ready for Africa, but I don't think it would go over too well.

Here is some information taken straight from my assignment information. I hope it helps shed some light on the type of work I'll be doing.

Under the direction of the Commune Mayors, Volunteers will:
  • Advise and assist municipal councils in the organization and administration of municipal services;
  • Train the councilors in participatory community needs assessment, strategic planning and project design and management techniques;
  • Train municipal council members and technical service representatives in the use of computers and other information technologies
  • Promote community organization, citizen participation, motivation and leadership;
  • Assist the councils in building relationships with international and non-governmental aid organizations operating in the area;
  • Help councils finance and implement small commune-level projects; and
  • Collaborate with other Volunteers within the commune on both village-level and commune-wide projects. [emphasis added]
When I first read this list a few weeks ago, I was nearly astounded that all of this was going to be expected of me. I must admit, I was a little nervous about this. Now, I've received and read some of the history of the decentralization of Niger and I'm aware that it is an even bigger task than I expected. One I'm looking forward to. More to come about my assignment as I begin to understand more.

On a different note, I still haven't received my personal passport. I called the passport office yesterday morning and their computer was down, so they couldn't do anything. I called back later and couldn't get through to a person. Called again, same thing. Sat on hold at least an hour and a half yesterday. Called once more and sat on hold for twenty-four minutes, but I finally got to talk to someone and they are expediting my paperwork and I was told to check again on the 18th. Today makes thirteen weeks (website claims 10-12 weeks processing time) since I sent in my passport application, but they can't help you until your travel date is within 14 days--which was yesterday. It is tough to leave this country.

Two weeks from now I'll be in Niger.

Sai anjima (until later)

No comments:

Post a Comment