6.13.2007

Invitation Information

Ok, now things have settled down a little and I'm still stoked about my assignment. Basically I'll be working in the mayor's office of whatever village, town, or city that I'll call home for the next two years (more on that later). This pic is me before I got my invitation (left, I'm not even wearing a watch) and after I read through it (right). I can't remember now, but I think I was excited. Everyone has been so supportive. I could not ask to be surrounded by more supportive people. Thanks.

I've had about two weeks to think about all of this and I'm more excited than ever. Of course I'm going to miss everyone here, but what is life if not an experience. And I'm going to be experiencing life under conditions that seem alien to everything I've ever known. I don't even know at this point if my site will have electricity or running water. I just keep telling myself, "Self, people have been living like that a lot longer than they haven't."

The people I've "met" online who are also going to Niger all seem like really great people. It seems that we have at least three different groups going: Municipal & Community Development, Community & Youth Education/Development, and Community Health Development/Health Extension. I'm thinking there will be a whole lot of shaking developing going on.

I know you have many questions, because at this moment I'm filled with them. Some how I am able to be at peace with not knowing all the answers to the questions. They will be answered soon enough. I'm hoping this comfort with confusion will help during my time in the Peace Corps.

I will post soon with more information about my program, Municipal and Community Development, and I will update as I learn more.

To whet your appetite for all things Niger, this information is a sample of what comes from the CIA's World Factbook (click to read more):
Location:
Western Africa, southeast of Algeria
Area - comparative:
slightly less than twice the size of Texas
Climate:
desert; mostly hot, dry, dusty; tropical in extreme south
Geography:
landlocked; one of the hottest countries in the world; northern four-fifths is desert, southern one-fifth is savanna, suitable for livestock and limited agriculture
Population:
12,894,865 (July 2007 est.)
Nationality:
noun: Nigerien(s)
adjective: Nigerien
Ethnic groups:
Haoussa 55.4%, Djerma Sonrai 21%, Touareg 9.3%, Peuhl 8.5%, Kanouri Manga 4.7%, other 1.2% (2001 census)
Religions:
Muslim 80%, other (includes indigenous beliefs and Christian) 20%
Languages:
French (official), Hausa, Djerma
Government type:
republic
Capital:
name: Niamey
time difference: UTC+1 (6 hours ahead of Washington, DC during Standard Time)

2 comments:

  1. Okay so I know that we have not talked in forever but I was just randomly searching facebook and ran across your wall which then got me interested in your trip. I have to say that I am not surprised that you would do something so courageous and that I admire you. I will try to keep up with your blogs and wish you the best. I know that you will light up the world as you always do. Good Luck!

    Courtney Holbein Faison - Beckwith friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wm
    As always, we are so very proud of you. You are right about all the questions -- Mom and I have lots of them --- and all our friends have even more that we can't answer!!
    I think your patience with all your questions is the best way to handle things.
    Can't wait to hear from you as you find out more.
    See you in a couple of weeks.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete