3.31.2007

Peace Corps Goodies and Learning Le Français

Here is a picture of some of the goodies I received in my nomination packet. Look how pretty. There are very important documents (read congratulation letters), a page with some quotes, a couple of keychain-compass-light gizmos, two super schweet magnets, a highliter (which rolled off the table before I took the picture), a luggage tag, a static cling decal, and an awesome patch. I am pretty excited about it all, but I'm most excited about the patch. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to sew it on just yet. The fridge is most excited about the magnets.

I have begun learning French. I guess the two years in highschool with no practice kind of wears off, but the amount that has come back already is exciting. Lindsay and I keep ourselves entertained with it. This week will mark week two (so don't be impressed yet). We are using the Pimsleur audio method which we checked out from the library. Each unit in the Pimsleur course is approximately 30 minutes (it reccommends to move on to the next unit only if you responded about 80% of the time correctly--we occassionally have to do a lesson twice). It's also nice that you only do one new unit a day, but the trick is to do it every day. We are also taking advantage of Netflix and renting French films. If anyone out there has any suggestions, please let me know. In addition to this we have labelled the majority of the stuff in the apartment--la lampe, le frigo, la table. Do you know what these mean? If you said "the lamp, the fridge, the table" then you are absolutely right (unless I'm wrong, corrections requested).

By the way, I'm doing this as extra learning. The Peace Corps will teach me any languages that I need to know. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to get a head start on it. Maybe I'll be able to dedicate some of the time during my three months of training where I would be learning/studying French to learning the local language or reading the new Harry Potter book--don't hate, you love Harry. If I leave before it is released I expect someone to mail that over pronto and I mean this in the nicest way possible.

At this point, I still don't know anything new about when I'm leaving for Africa, what country I'll be going to, or what specifically I'll be doing. However, I do expect my medical packet by the end of the month. Doctors and nurses beware! I can't wait to find out how many times I must get stuck with a needle. Dad, I know you'll be thinking about me.

Hooray for the first picture post and thanks for reading and thanks for your support. Since this is the first message going out via the e-mail service, let me know if it works/doesn't work, if you like it/don't like it, just give me some feedback so I can work out the kinks.

--

Update: Correctly spelled "la table". Tip of the hat to Brannon.

4 comments:

  1. Hi -

    Congratulations on your decision to join. Just wanted to give you a suggestion for learning a new language (I've learned two addition to my native language so I know what you're going through!). Try reading children's books. This has helped many people who are learning a new language. And also, your second language will be much easier to learn. Good luck. I'm excited to read how it all goes for you....

    Fellow Traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fellow Traveler,

    I've been trying to avoid purchasing more than I had to and have been currently unable to find any French children's books in the local libraries. But, maybe I can find some online. If French was one of the languages that you have learned, could you recommend any books? Thanks for your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for learning French! And I do have to correct one little tiny thing which is that "la table" is spelled just like "table" in English, even though its true that its pronounced kind of like "la tabla" so you were on track with the pronunciation. Almost like "tab-bluh" even. Indeed, many sounds in French are kind of similar to the sounds you make when you're about to vom or in the process thereof. So if you've ever vomited before, congratulations, you're already well on your way to speaking French!

    That said, I love French and its a beautiful language, despite the bizarre noises that sometimes go along with it. The end.

    -Brannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brannon, I'll get that changed right away. I agree with the strange sounds. I can only practice so much before my throat begins hurting. But, all-in-all I am enjoying it.

    Thanks for the well wishes and thanks for commenting. Have fun in Bayeux and wherever you go next I hope it starts with a 'B'.

    ReplyDelete