1.26.2007

The Importance of Patience

Yesterday I had my interview with the Atlanta regional office of the Peace Corps. Just as I had suspected, the closer I got the more nervous I became. In part this was because I left for the five mile drive nearly two hours early and walked into the building about ten minutes late. I had prepared to get there in plenty of time to make sure I knew where I was going and to sit for a while so I could clear my head and get some of my responses ready. This obviously did not happen.

Throughout the application process my recruiter and others who were further along in the process have told me that "patience is the key". While I was sitting and waiting for the other vehicles to remove themselves from the logjam we were in I began to wonder if those who had talked to me about patience knew I would be stuck in this annoying traffic situation. I was on the verge of being insulted because none of them dropped even the slightest clue about this. I must have been delusional because of my utter disbelief about measuring my progress by inches, feet, and car lengths rather than blocks, streets, and miles. I began laughing as I came to my senses and realized that no practical joke had been pulled on me.

When I got there after the metal detector, inspection, and profuse apologizing I went in for my interview. We went over my application and I was asked several more questions. I felt like it all went smoothly except for a missing piece of paperwork. The whole interview lasted about half as long as my trip to the office had (unless you count the trip to Atlanta into my travel time). As soon as that last bit of paperwork gets processed I can be nominated (which will hopefully happen by the end of the month, keep your fingers crossed for me).

At this point I am fairly certain of a few things:
1)I will be leaving in what the Peace Corps call Q3 (April, May, June).
2)My primary task will be youth development.
3)I'll be going to Sub-Saharan Africa.

I am stoked about all three of these things. I know that the time span I might leave is pretty lengthy, it is the duration of almost an entire season. I could just say that I'll be leaving during the spring of 2007.

For those of you who are not all that familiar with the geography of Africa I'll do my best to explain Sub-Saharan Africa. If Africa were a three-scoop ice cream cone (and, it's not) everything below the top scoop would be Sub-Saharan Africa. It encompasses the majority of the continent of Africa. This means that I will probably be learning French along with a few native languages (all of which I am very excited about).

10 comments:

  1. William,
    I am very proud that you want to join the Peace Corps. The application process has been very lengthy, and I admire your perseverance. It sounds like you made the best out of an unexpected situation on your way to the interview.
    I appreciate the geography lesson...it helped me to visualize where you are going. I will get busy researching Africa.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. William,
    I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of you! You are truly using God's gifts to give back to Him and His children. Your commitment, dedication, and perserverance will all reap many rewards for you as well as others. Blessings, prayers and hugs for you as you prepare for your journey! Love, Ms. Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. William Earl,
    "Uncle" Tommy and I are also very proud of you and love you. I actually had my hopes up that you would enter the priesthood someday (and you would have been awesome) as I can remember you as a small boy studying the Lectionary in the back of your BCP one Sunday!
    The Peace Corps doesn't know what they are about to get. The precious children of Africa are actually the lucky ones!
    Take care of yourself and show them the real you. You are a winner!
    Love, "Aunt" Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too, like others have said, am so proud of you:equally, I am so proud to know you.You have the ability to enrich the lives of those who know you. What a gift you will carry into your adventure with the Peace Corps!
    Your empathy, compassion and curiosity will allow you to learn the many lessons that the people you will encounter are prepared to teach you. Giving of yourself is always a dual process, so prepare to be given too also!

    The journey has begun: now go with all of my best,

    TH

    ReplyDelete
  5. William,
    First of all, this is my second attempt at a comment because I forgot to sign in first. If somehow you got my first comment, well, I am about to say the same thing again. ( I am so technolgy "with it") Anyway, it's really cool how things work. I'm at school working this afternoon and I decide to check my e-mail. I find this "connection" to you from an e-mail from your mom. You see, I taught the senior high school Sunday School class at my church today and we were talking about you. Someone asked me to explain the Peace Corps and I tried to tell them that is was kind of like a mission project. I also mentioned you and Randy last week in one of my classes. I was trying to get my students to ask questions. I told them a story of two of my favorite students (from long ago) and how they always would ask questions, cool and thought provoking ones! Anyway, I think it is awesome that you have chosen to do something like this. It just fits your personality and talents. God Bless you. I look forward to following your journey.
    Mrs. Harris

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting. I very proud of you. Can't believe that 2 great friends have decided to walk in Christ footsteps. I was hoping you would be going to Eastern Europe then you and Randy would have been close. I know that God has great plans for you both. I will always keep you and my son in my prayers. Love MaMa Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. William,

    Congratulations as you begin this journey! You may feel now like you're stuck in traffic, but we know that soon you'll be leading the way! We admire you, we support you, and we thank you for taking on this responsibility. You will do good things.

    Chris and Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. William,
    Thanks to your Mom for sharing your email and travel site address with her friends. WOW! What an adventure for you and at a prime time in your life. You have no doubt heard that, when looking back on life when at its end, no one ever says "I wish I had spent more time in the office" or similar comments. The thing you have chosen to devote a chunk of your life to is the kind of thing that will make many of us look back and say "I wish I had served God's people better!" That is just what you are doing - serving. And what a service you have chosen. In my father's family there have been several missionaries with the Methodist Church who served in Africa - the Congo to be exact. They raised their children there; carried out the most exciting time of their lives there. Cudos to you for your committment. God bless you in all your ventures. I will be in prayer for your safety, your well-being, and your joy!
    Cathy Taylor, Eufaula

    ReplyDelete
  9. William .... I am sooo excited....please stay in touch. I will check your blog and send Miles and Emma the web address. We love you. meyabo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to what I deal with every day as a resident of Gwinnett County with a job in midtown Atlanta. Some days it takes 40 minutes to get to work. Last Thursday it took over two hours. I admire you for joining the Peace Corps. I know you'll do well, and I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete