5.31.2008

Exhausted!

I think I'll start this post by saying that Jeremy's pictures are much better than mine. Not just a little bit better, but a LOT better. So, before you read any further check these (and these) out. I won't have enought time to upload my pics now anyway, but have patience and I'll get them up next time I'm in Niamey.

It's been a really great trip into Niamey, but I'm ready to get back out to the bush. It's expensive being in the city. I'm not looking forward to getting on the bus tomorrow but I am excited about being back in my village. After all, I have a meeting in Niamey on the 13th and Mid-Service training the 16th -18th at Hamdallaye. Mid-Service training!!!! I'm nearly half way done? Ok, it's not quite half way yet, but it is very close.

Pangea was absolutely amazing! It was so great to see all of my friends and it was great to connect with Nigeriens in such a constructive way. I made contact with many new musicians and look forward to practicing what they taught me. I never got a chance to teach my second class on Cash, Dylan, and Redding, but maybe I'll get the chance to hang out with some of my new friends and do impromptu classes. One guy said that I could come stay with him any time I'm in Niamey and we'll talk about music and drink tea all night.

All of the classes went really well this week. The volunteers that led the dance classes worked really hard and the routines turned out really well. Thursday's theater and radio classes also went really well. These classes had the most amount of collaboration between volunteers and their Nigerien counterparts and that was very inspiring to see everyone come together. Most other classes were led either by Peace Corps volunteers or Nigeriens.
During the hip hop conference (led by Nigeriens) Koy, a Nigerien rapper, was talking about the origins of hip hop culture in America and mentioned the artist Afrika Bambaataa. Some of the volunteers asked if he was Zarma, one of the ethnic groups in Niger, because bambata in Zarma means big. He actually took the name from the Zulu chief Bhambatha. Although I think "Big Africa" is a pretty cool name.

There is no way to describe everything that happened this week, or to truly express how I feel about it. I hope that it continues next year and that each year it gets bigger and better. Like I mentioned in my last post, there was a videographer every day and at least one photographer. As the fruits of their labors are collected and combiled I will be linking to them. The video that was put together last year was really good and I think that this years video will be well worth the weight, so be patient (but don't forget I'm on Nigerien time).

I hope you are all doing well and thanks for reading. I look forward to posting again when I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment