3.10.2008

Sharo

As cold season transitions into hot season the Fulani in my area start preparing for Sharo. Traditionally the Fulan are pastoralists and therefore spread out over a broad area and several tribes will come together for Sharo. Sharo is a test of a young mans bravery and ability to endure pain, rendering the young man very attractive to the ladies. In some places, I'm told, they take turns hitting an "opponent" usually from a rival tribe. That's not quite what I saw.

I'm not entirely sure how to describe what was seen, but I hope the pictures help. It was a bit overwhelming. I saw several scars from past years but only saw one boy actually being hit. These pictures are from the trip Daryn, Tim, and I took on February 8th. Katie and I went back two weeks later but I didn't have my camera. Maybe Katie will let me steal the pictures from her camera--or, better yet, check her blog and photos of the February, 22 Sharo.

Well, here are my pictures:

Tonight the poeple from the first Ag/NRM stage of 2008 will swear in. Congratulations, you will soon be full-fledged volunteers!
I'm heading back to Maradi on Sunday and will try to get one more post up tomorrow.
Take care and thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Will, I respect what you are doing so much. It's really amazing to read your blog. Keep us updated on what's going on with your first hand accounts. It's very sombering and reflecting to read and think about how other people are living their lives on the other side of the world while I have my own car, fridge, and enough money to meet my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will, Thanks for sharing. In your "Sharo" pics there are large woven "Basket" type structures on pedestals. Do you have any insight as to what these are? They appear to be full of "sticks".

    Michelle Evans
    Katies "creepy" mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. William,

    Just wanted to wish you a Happy Easter and to let you know you are being thought about.
    I am so proud of you and of how you are sharing your amazing heart with the rest of the world.

    With Love,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete