7.19.2007

I Believe Some Thanks Are In Order

Sannu!

I want to thank all of the family and friends that have wished me well. This past week has been almost overwhelming. Not in a bad way, it has been a wonderful overwhelming. It is like being tightly enveloped by a warm blanket on a cold winter night. I will carry your thoughts and prayers wherever I go. Everyone has been so generous with their thoughts, prayers, time, and gifts. It means so much to me that while I'm gone you will continue to support me and tell my story. Not only will I learn so much from this experience I hope you will learn with me. This is the Peace Corps' third goal. Not that I have been thinking about changing my mind, but your enthusiasm has been contagious and a new passion has been born in me. I thank you for this and surely the Nigerien people would thank you if they only knew who you were. I will tell your stories and make you known to them (second goal).

The above map is one of the most detailed maps I've found of Niger. A former volunteer sent me the link. It is all in French, but it is still pretty easy to figure out. It shows lots of information including regional boundaries, roads, dominant languages, and all sorts of other great stuff. It can also be found here.

It is very difficult trying to pack 80 pounds for a 27 month journey. I've been told by people who are already serving in Niger that you can get almost everything you need (don't forget that need does not equal want) once you get there and not to fret. It is my understanding that most people bring too many clothes which is funny because the packing list doesn't suggest many. There is no perfect packing list that works for everyone, but Peace Corps Niger put together a list of things that other volunteers found useful. Once I get everything together, I'll try to post a list of the things I'm taking so that you can see what I was able to cram into my 80 pounds of allowed luggage. During my time in Africa I'll try to write about what items proved invaluable and which ones I wish I hadn't brought along for the ride.

Do you know what else is difficult? Leaving the people I love to go half way around the world to show some folks some pesky American optimism. Oh yeah, and trying to pretend like I know exactly what is going on. Have you ever tried learning three languages at once? No? Really? Well you should try it (actually it isn't as hard as it sounds, just TIME CONSUMING). Ok, that felt good.

Some of you have been asking what I want in care packages, but I don't know what I'll need/want yet. But don't you worry It will be in a future post.

Sai Anjima

No comments:

Post a Comment